For hungry children, school = food. School is more than a place to learn. It’s a place where kids feel safe and have access to meals. Help us ensure that kids have meals on weekends, too.
With the help of amazing partners and supporters, we were able to feed more children than ever before when school closed due to Covid-19 and during the summer. The pandemic highlighted just how vulnerable food insecure children are. Typically children at risk of hunger rely on the food that schools provide during the week, and backpack meals on the weekends.
School closures changed this arrangement and we adjusted. During the summer, we far surpassed our feeding of 2,300 students weekly, to upwards of 6,000 for students not just in elementary schools, but up to age 18.
We increased our packing schedule with groups of not more than 10 volunteers per session throughout the week, instituted recommended safety practices, and changed our distribution to be in lockstep with Brevard Public Schools distributing them to schools with our volunteers at drive-through.
Just $12.50 a month, less than $0.42 a day provides food to a child at risk of malnutrition on the weekends. Click here to donate.
As of now, The Children’s Hunger Project has renewed its normal weekly school distribution schedule for those schools we distribute to that are currently ready for us. We are still holding small weekly packing events with mask and gloves. If you are part of an organization that would like to pack with us in small groups, please call 321-610-1900.
We will continue to pack at our office at 1855 West King Street, Cocoa 32926 (located at Cocoa Hyundai). MAP
- Currently, we are taking temperatures of all packing volunteers prior to their shift and require EVERYONE to wear a mask when they enter the building. PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN MASK OR FACE COVERING IF YOU HAVE THEM, WE HAVE MINIMAL MASKS AVAILABLE. Please try to arrive a few minutes before your shift for check-in.
- Gloves are provided. The TCHP office is deep-cleaned on a regular basis and after each packing.
- It may not always possible to maintain 6-ft distancing, but TCHP makes every effort to do so when possible.
Out of concern for the health and safety of our volunteers, we request the following:
- NO ONE UNDER AGE 8.
- NO CONTACT/LIVING WITH SOMEONE WHO IS BEING TESTED, DISPLAYS SYMPTOMS, OR HAS A HIGH-RISK FACTOR (IMMUNO-COMPROMISED).
- NO TRAVEL OUTSIDE OF BREVARD COUNTY DURING THE PAST TWO WEEKS.
- NO SYMPTOMS IN THE PAST TWO WEEKS.If you do not have a volunteer waiver on file with us, please click here to complete the online form or click here to download, print and sign the form to bring with you.
PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOUR PLANS CHANGE AND YOU ARE NOT AVAILABLE at 321-610-1900
The Children’s Hunger Project COVID-19 Response
- APRIL & MAY
56,000 FOOD PACKS DISTRIBUTED AT BPS SITES AND OTHER
1,100+ VOLUNTEERS ACCOMPLISHED 3,500+ VOLUNTEER HOURS OF PACKING AND DELIVERY/DISTRIBUTION
- JUNE, JULY and AUGUST
800+ FOOD PACKS WEEKLY TO SUMMER CAMP SITES THROUGH PARTNERSHIP WITH UNITED WAY OF BREVARD
16,000 + FOOD PACKS SERVED AT BPS SCHOOL LOCATION SITES IN JUNE AND 14,000+ FOOD PACKS SERVED IN JULY. (OVER 30,000 FOOD PACKS DISTRIBUTED)
800 VOLUNTEERS ACCOMPLISHED 2,000 VOLUNTEER HOURS OF PACKING AND DELIVERY/DISTRIBUTION
Many organizations have federal and state funding, we rely on the goodness of businesses, civic groups, faith-based organizations and individuals. All of our meals are prepped, packed and distributed by volunteers.
For those who can make a significant contribution, consider joining the Children’s Circle of Hope Society -this society is open to anyone contributing $1,000 or more annually. Contributions can be set up on a recurring basis of $84 per month.
Many thanks to local businesses, organizations and individuals that have stepped up to help us with our funding needs. Because of your help, we are making the lives of children in Brevard better during a challenging time. To our supporters that have decided to donate your stimulus funds during this critical time of need, THANK YOU for your generosity!
We need to continue to ensure our kids are fed. As a recent TCHP volunteer commented, “There is nothing more honorable than caring for hungry children. You all are heroes.”
Please let us know if you have any questions. 321-610-1900. Thank you again for you continued support of The Children’s Hunger Project.